Sports Staff Internship
The primary role of the Sports Staff Intern is to assist the Sports Director in providing a safe, fun and organized Sports Deck for the enjoyment of our guests. This position will focus primarily on assisting in the organization and scheduling of sports activities, SkyCourse operation, along with providing the proper maintenance and care for all equipment on Sports Deck.
The Sports Staff Intern’s job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following activities:
- Understand all sports, games and equipment offered onboard on Sports Deck.
- Knowledgeable of all rules associated with sports, games and equipment offered onboard on Sports Deck
- Assist in organizing and refereeing of sports and games such as but not limited to basketball, soccer, volleyball, dodgeball, bean bag toss, ping pong, mini golf, pool, and chess.
- Assist Sports Director with the organization of group competitions and events.
- Oversee all equipment on Sports Deck.
- Assist in maintaining equipment and advise Sports Director if any replacement equipment or repairs are needed.
- Understanding of all aspects of safety equipment.
- Be continuously mindful of guest and crew safety during all activities conducted in the sports areas.
- Pleasant and helpful while ensuring that all safety procedures are being adhered to.
- Assist with the completion of office paperwork
- Host, assist and observe basic non-revenue and revenue generating activities.
- Socialize with guests at different events throughout the ship.
- Perform alongside other entertainment team members as assigned.
- Be a reliable source of contact and information for our guests.
- Assist with show watch and crowd control.
- Demonstrate commitment to Carnival Service Values.
- Maintain a friendly and positive guest service/hospitality while on and off duty.
- Communicate with others and work in a team or independently.
- Ensure uniform policy, the Carnival Look and good hygiene is being followed at all times.
- Actively participate in assigned activities including, but not limited to trainings, drills, safety briefings, “Port Manning”, meetings and performances, as required.
- Possess an enthusiastic attitude and approach.
- Applicable experience running or organizing of sports and games.
- The ability to interact effectively and make connections with people of different age groups.
- The motivation to go above and beyond for our guests.
- The ability to cross-promote activities and events.
- Natural ability to communicate with others and work in a team or independently.
- Demonstrate a clean and professional appearance.
- Fluent proficiency in English.
- Strong improvisational skills.
- Be open to flexible working hours; starting early mornings, up to 10 hours a day.
- Be able to adapt to the immediate or unforeseen challenges in the industry.
- Be able to work in a fast paced environment.
- Be able to execute basic office and management tasks.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Paid internship, fixed monthly salary, paid bi-weekly.
- Room and board included at no additional cost to the student.
- All travel expenses from and to your nearest major airport are covered by Carnival Cruise Line (CCL).
- Cost of the Seafarer's Fitness Medical Examination (SFME) and CPR/First Aid Certificates will be reimbursed by CCL.
- Professional and personal development opportunities offered through the crew training center on ship.
- Be currently enrolled and attending an accredited college/university in the United States
- Have a minimum cumulative 3.0 cumulative GPA out of a 4.0 scale
- Be at least a second semester junior returning to school or a graduating senior earning academic credit
- Be at least 21 years of age or older by the start of the internship program
- Be able to obtain a valid USA passport by the internship offer date (We do not sponsor visas for this program)
- Be able to commit to the full term dates of the internship program
- Pass all of Carnival Cruise Line’s pre-employment background and medical requirements
- Previous experience running, organizing, or refereeing of sports and games, or experience working on a high ropes course, within the last two years.
- Resume outlining previous employment, education and hosting related experience in PDF or Word Doc format.
- Promotional photo.
Round II (upon request):
- Academic transcript (either an official or unofficial version)
- Two letters of recommendation (PDF or Word Doc format):
- Faculty reference; must be within your field of study.
- Supervisor reference; past or present for a position of relative experience.
- Valid US Passport
- Cleared Background Check
- CPR and First Aid Certificates